Thursday, March 17, 2005

Gaughan—"World Turned Upside Down" for St. Paddy's Day

I used to own a button I bought at a small press bookfair back in the day when we weren't ashamed to call ourselves such. "Blues European" it read. It was a foto of the Queen of England printed in green on a background of green bubbles, a collage out of old mags or something. I loved it. And, it was the only green I owned. It was a button I had to explain. "Uh, Blues European...you know, colonizers of the Celtic Isles...". Its green was fading to ripe lime, then blue for real. I've lost it in the moves. And green is not a color that goes good with my skin.

Here's a link to my favorite song from my favorite troubador, Dick Gaughan, that you can download.
  • Gaughan songs @Amazon
  • It's also called The Diggers Song because it was a letter to the "Editor" written centuries ago and set to music, I think, by Leon Rosselson: The World Turned Upside Down. Since I can't find a link to hear it, here's a link to the story, the words, and chords:
  • The World Turned Upside Down: The Diggers


  • And, here's a link to Dick Gaughan's site:
  • Dick Gaughan's old site


  • Happy St. Patrick's Day! Here's to driving out the Snakes.

    "This earth was made a common treasury for all."

    Amen.

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    I know this is an old article but I thought you might like a copy of the song.

    Here is one copy that is really slow compared to the one I heard in my college World Music course:

    https://paulettemeier.bandcamp.com/track/world-turned-upside-down-the-diggers-song

    ..and here is the one from my college class:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCJIH4HCRa8&list=PLFVHtx9wQHMKWKE7K_BSaDi2CSNRPrvPA

    I love this one. It is really energizing. :)

    Cd

    18/9/17 13:42  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
    $223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
    Cost of the War in Iraq
    $196,424,846,878
    To see more details, click here.
    Textbook125x125button
    Radical Women of Color Bloggers
    Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next