Friday, March 04, 2005

"How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare: A Love Sonnet to Joseph Beuys"

How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare
(a love sonnet to Joseph Beuys)


Take a bit of copper between your teeth.
Bite down hard while pressing the first two
Fingertips of each hand firmly into wood.
A writing desk is good. Your kitchen table, better.

Visualize the Cross and the Crucifixion.
Notice color. Don't think of mass graves.
Relax. Let go the metal. Discard.
In the case of a penny, spend.

Pour a glass of orange juice.*
Hold the cold mouthful. Rinse the first
Taste of fresh blood from the tongue.
Spit. Drink the rest of the glass.

Bring it to the gaslight.
Imagine your reflection in the bristling fat.


*(bear the fruit/ of unpoisoned trees/ & bless the bees)



c Lorna Dee Cervantes
first published in Square One

check out: http://asleepinsideanoldguitar.blogspot.com/2005/02/art-favorites_23.html

3 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

Has it been 30 years?Great to see you again even if it's only on the net.

5/3/05 01:21  
Blogger Eduardo C. Corral said...

Welcome to the blog-world.

5/3/05 10:39  
Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Thanks for calling me out. (never thought I'd ever say that) I've been planning to get on this freeway. I was just out for a test drive in the new Ferrari (you can this is a metaphor as I can't spell it) when I had to take a turn off while googling up my fame minus fortune for a "post-tenure review" when I read your line "I'm talking to...!" Cool.

Now, I'm on the fast lane. Yowza! And I'm a lifetime non-driver. Really.

Actually it's more like hanging out in the kitchen & there's plenty of really good food.

Reyes Cardenas: what can I say but "sabroso" But then, I always did have you pegged as a genius. Pert near 30 years. Around the time Raul's book 1st came out. I was reading Caracol, and some other newsprint paper then. You were firme then. You're firme now. The real thing.

You know the true meaning of "macho" & "hembra" is simply "real"?

Check out my comments on your sites.

Well, back to the dead. They speak louder than words.

7/3/05 23:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next