Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Guru: Stanley Kunitz - Happy Hundreth!

There's a great article I found this morning on a blog about my last Guru, Stanley Kunitz (after the first, Virginia de Araujo who passed a few years ago, Robert Hass & before that, Marge Piercy, although I never actually studied with her, but you get my drift).

I'll have to search out that pic I've had next to my writing desk for several layered decades, the one with him in his cap in his garden in Provincetown, that musey smile, those love-ly eyes, that appeared in APR next to his poem, "The Layers." (Where IS that pic? Hmmm, too many moves in Annus Horriblis, 2003...

I so mourned Elise's passing. That year.

Happy 100th Poem, Stanley. You know I love you. I wouldn't be here were it not for you.

P.S. And just in case you ask it: With so much hollerin' & shootin' goin' on, I could use a little quietude among the demon drone of Huey hellicopters.
  • A Poet In Winter Relishes His Spring Garden

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Here's a question, any answers? Someone was talking about the movie, "'Round Midnight" with saxophonist, Dexter Gordon playing the part of a blues musician in Paris who gets taken in by a fan. I LOVED that movie. I loved my, then husband, who, in the afterglow walking home through the moonlight, turned to me and asked—and I loved him more for asking: "If you had the opportunity to pick up anyone in the world, living or dead, up off the gutter, who would it be?"

    "Easy! Stanley Kunitz"

    What's yours?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
    $223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
    Cost of the War in Iraq
    $196,424,846,878
    To see more details, click here.
    Textbook125x125button
    Radical Women of Color Bloggers
    Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next