Monday, September 19, 2005

Ernesto Priego's Cities

I
had to
learn to pronounce

you
under the
influence of your

sky.
It was
all drunken walking,

with
love or
sadness or booze,

but
always drunk,
always surrounded by

the
beauty of
the living and

the
dead. Ghosts
slept with me

in
tiny rooms
surrounded by children,

and
your trees
and your snow

. . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the rest and "The Seventh City" at Never Neutral and check out the rest of the suite of stunning poems, each city built out of love and hay(na)ku bricks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

These are wonderful, I'm reading them again.

19/9/05 17:54  
Blogger Ernesto said...

Gee, thanks! I was inspired by Lorna's abecedarian hay(na)ku suite, and following NOLA's tragedy and a personal recovery period (I have been trying to sort out photographs from my past) I was moved to write this series on cities that I have visited awake and revisited constantly in dreams.

I am honored by your comments. Thank you, really.

19/9/05 20:17  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to choose Kopenhavan, in Denmark and try to write in the hay(na)ku form. I spent several days there as a bride. We visited a lot of the city and traveled north by train to see Louisiana, the modern art museum on the New Zealand coast. Saw Alexander Caulder's incredible mobils there.

20/9/05 05:41  
Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

I find so many of Ernesto's poems breathtaking, and I've never used that phrase before but it fits, I breathe in deep for the "AH!" awe of awesome poetry when you catch it in the act — of becoming, becoming a part of this person, here, right now, you, in the reading. No? Interesting how this act of mass inspiration takes place here in the poetry-place of Blogville. I find.

20/9/05 12:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next