Friday, May 19, 2006

MeMeMe Meme: Thirteen Things On A Thursday

Yeah, I know. It's friday. It's the thought that counts.

Thirteen Things On A Thursday About Me That Are Weird

  1. I have to use the exact same copy of Webster's Collegiate Dictionary I've used since I was 11 years old when I write. I use the OED for galleys -- but I *must* use my old beat up hard-bound dictionary (now missing it's binding) for drafts. I've had it at my side by my desk at all times for forty years. It's the last thing I pack and the first thing I unpack when I move. I like that as the years go by I lose pages of grammar, kinda like real life.

  2. I don't like eggplant.

  3. I'm a skeptic who believes God is a sense of humor.

  4. I'm happiest when the ironic face of the universe reveals herself.

  5. I'm afraid of cows (but you knew that.)

  6. I have a secret phobia about mad ostriches attacking me (or any dumb animal that we eat with a plan for fighting back.) (It can happen!)

  7. I've written poems that I purposely don't remember and thrown them into the ocean as offerings to Yemaya. It has something to do with the power of positive thinking.

  8. I gave birth to my son, alone, in my Houston apartment with just a midwife and no drugs in four and a half hours -- telling a long story about a beaded Huichol mask I had in the room, something about the scorpion and the butterfly and the nine levels of the universe: I was making it up, I guess. Or channeling. My midwife said I was the most coherent woman giving birth she had ever encountered.

  9. I always wanted a Black Racer (a snake).

  10. I graduated from college with super high honors in Creative Arts but I wasn't aware of it: I was all about the work (I wrote a 45 page philosophy paper on "Experience As Art") and ignored all the pomp. (My philosophy prof happened to be the Director of the Honors Program.) I shined on graduation (I couldn't afford a gown anyway) and I never could figure out why they were writing to me for years to pick up some medal.) I didn't figure it out until about 5 years ago when I mentored a student who graduated Summa cum Laude and I thought, "Hey! Isn't that what I got?" DOH.

  11. I came to Boulder to backpack, not teach, and never have in all the 17 years I've been teaching here.

  12. I'm a Leo who's afraid I'll get eaten by a lion. It would be ironic. And that's why it scares me. (It can happen!)

  13. My favorite animal, hands down, is the giraffe.



Now, what's yours? Got thirteen weird things on you for a thursday? How about five for a friday? Anything. Like most writers, I'm nosey.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no sympathy with 2 - the aubergine is a prince amongst vegetables - but I identify 100% with 3, which is one of the neatest identifications of God for the sceptic I've ever read.

19/5/06 05:01  
Blogger Radish King said...

ld, sorry to leave this here, but I don't know your e-mail addy. I just this morning found a comment you left on my blog. I would write fear of comments as one of my weirdnesses, but of course it wouldn't be the truth. the truth would be fear of people.

wanted to thank you for your kind words about my work and your constant support. it means so much to me to find your comments, always positive, always delightful. it makes a difference to have someone believe, to know someone does.

rebecca

21/5/06 07:52  
Blogger Lyle Daggett said...

Okay, so now it's Monday, but as you said it's the thought that counts...
1. I've only been drunk once in my life, and that was sort of an experiment. I sprawled in the back seat of the car and sang all the way home, making up the words as I went along.
2. I've never learned to whistle.
3. I've never learned to snap my fingers.
4. I've had a tendency to become deeply engrossed in learning about various subjects for two or three years -- baseball, chess, history of boxing, astrology, European classical music, etc. -- and then have more or less let the interests fade into the background. The only thing I've sustained my interest in, through it all, is poetry.
5. I don't like most foods with a creamy consistency: mayonnaise, pudding, butter, soft cheese, whipped cream, sour cream, cheesecake... (I do, however, like ice cream.)
6. I've never learned to ride a bicycle. I have a fear of bicycles.
7. I've never travelled out of my body, although at least half of my friends over the years have insisted it's possible and that they've done it, frequently in some cases.
8. Although I enjoy learning languages, and can read a little bit of several languages, and have translated poetry from several languages, I've never become proficient at any language other than English (though I'm sort of functional reading Spanish), and I can't speak any other languages more than a few words.
9. I graduated from high school with Honors, but didn't find out about it until 20 years later, because I skipped the commencement ceremony. (I just didn't feel like wearing a cap and gown, and they said if you didn't wear one you couldn't come. There were a bunch of other people who also skipped it. We picked up our diplomas in the school office.)
10. I have a B.A. degree in The Art of Political Poetry. The program I got it through (at the U. of Minnesota) no longer exists. During the four years I went there, although many students finished the program and graduated, I only ever heard of one student in the program who attended the graduation commencement ceremony.
11. I've never owned a car.
12. I've never drunk coffee.
13. One of my favorite foods is pickled watermelon rind. (When I was a kid, my grandma made it by the old home canning method in Mason jars.)

22/5/06 20:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next