Friday, December 15, 2006

"Nothing Lasts" Read By Lorna Dee Cervantes Up at Odeo - Podcast It

I like to listen to poetry while I'm washing the dishes. I know some people like to listen while they're driving. I like my iPod because I can listen while gardening -- when I do. Lately, I've just been listening while sitting right here, in my messy room, my home office. I once recorded all of Sylvia Plath's Ariel and Colossus along with Cesare Pavese's Hard Labor on the other side of an old reel to reel, a long playing tape in my own voice. There's just something about making soundwaves out of thought then reinjecting them back into your own neocortex, past what Robert Bly called the "Lizard brain." Yeah. Poetry making the mobius loop from Lizard brain to mammal reflex to human mind to whatever we imagine. I imagine. I listen to you, too, whenever I can.

Here's a poem you can listen to whenever, along with the player to listen to more new and old poems as I put them up, and listen to me read a few poems from master poet ee cummings. Swell, I swear.

I hope somebody's in the mountains. It's a beautiful day today in Boulder.



This poem is featured on Bob Marcacci's The Countdown #18 this week which features dead poet, Gertrude Stein, a feature of MiPo Radio. You can also listen at the Cafe Cafe where good poets hang out and I go to get inspired. Hosted by Didi Menendez, she also selects poems for a print mag. My poem, "Shelling the Pecans" was published in Ocho and was nominated for a Pushcart Prize this year. So, we'll see. So, thanks, Bob, it's an honor. The poem was read like she liked it by Julie Carter. Thanks, Julie! I had the flu bad last week, so couldn't record it until now. Visit the site and check out a previous podcast featuring one of my favorite poets, Frank O'Hara. I really loved it. Lunch Poems has been one of my favorite books since I was in junior high school. How come no one ever writes about that? All they seem to be interested in is how colleagues mistake me for the lady who empties the trash. Sigh.

<---- Currently listening to Billie Holliday, "Stormy Weather", since my man and I ain't together...".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next