Sunday, February 04, 2007

Project TUPA - Free Radio In the Americas: Support the Transformers of the Americas

HA! I just figured out a way to bypass New Blogger and sign in under my old account. This is the comment I just posted. More soon.
-------------------
TUPA - Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Americas
Dear all,

Last night/this morning all Hades broke out. Both my Flickr & Blogger site went down when I was trying to post some fotos and information on Project TUPA - www.radiotupa.org (Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Américas) - a project of FreeRadio.org which empowers people throughout the Américas to build their own radio stations. (YEA!)
TUPA - Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Americas

Those of you who know me, and some who do not, know that I am a lifelong supporter of community public access radio, and that I was interested in helping to found a radio station on Isla Mujeres as a means to hurricane relief as well as all the other things great radio brings -- like democratic change. Also, you may have read my post from last year: "What were you doing 30 years ago?" where I talk about once working in a CB radio factory. I'm also a child of public radio, I was born around the time KPFA was and have been listening since I was a child since my brother was a fan and early radio person on the programming end of things.
TUPA - Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Americas TUPA - Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Américas

Anyway, this project ties a lot things together that are near and dear to my heart and consciousness: free speech, democracy, education, truth, freedom, cultural preservation, public access radio and the indigenous peoples of the Américas, and just plain ole do-it-yourselfness (some might remember that I taught myself how to run a printing press in my kitchen when I was 21 years old) so I'm really excited about the work they are doing in Mexico right now: workshops with people throughout Mexico who are being trained in Oaxaca to assemble and operate their own low-cost radio transmitters from kits they design. How cool is that? Project TUPA is currently conducting a second 5-day workshop, building 12 transmitters per week for 12 communities. Each group has 24-26 people, along with 4-5 observers. The transmitters they are building in the workshops are 40 watts [not 10 watt as I previously wrote]. Also, they are training 12 communities per workshop. More info soon. I had a lot of great pictures of the great work they are doing that I was planning to post today & last night when everything went down and I am unable to post anything at all to Blogger right now.
TUPA - Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Américas

I'd like to help Project TUPA in any way I can right now, when they need it most as they are between 2 1-week workshop sessions in Oaxaca and could use some PayPal donations right now. You can also send a check (tax deductible) or payment to them at their Berkeley address, and any donations of equipment, parts, microphones and other broadcast equipment, cameras, dvd players, tape decks, LAPTOPS -- you name it. Also, especially if you have electronic technology skills or web or translation skills, they could use volunteers in the Bay Area or in their travels throughout Latin America and Mexico. You can also bring them to your own community. You and folk could learn how to build a radio transmitter from a kit (apr. $200) to donate to an impoverished community.
TUPA - Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Américas

Donate whatever and get free goodies from me!! (CDs of playlists of hundreds of love songs and bummer love songs -- hey, LD collector's items to some; my new book, DRIVE: The First Quartet, and maybe a copy of my new 250 page manuscript of love poems -- just in time for Valentine's day.) More details & pics as soon as I can post again. If you can read this, please let me know.
TUPA - Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Américas

As I've always said about publishing: "Freedom of the press belongs to the person who owns one" and, as my grandmother always said, and I'll paraphrase: If they can't do it right, do it yourself!

KEEP THE AIR WAVES FREE! SUPPORT FREE RADIO and Project TUPA. Support the transformers of the Américas! Support Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Américas.

more fotos here

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

UPDATE & CORRECTION:

Project TUPA is currently conducting a second 5-day workshop, building 12 transmitters per week for 12 communities. Each group has 24-26 people, along with 4-5 observers. The transmitters they are building in the workshops are 40 watts, not 10. Also, they are training 12 communities per workshop. More info soon.

5/2/07 21:56  
Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

ERG! Blogger is not letting me post again!

5/2/07 22:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next