Monday, May 07, 2007

Homeland Terror - May Day In MacArthur Park

I've been extremely upset at the events that occurred this past May Day - at the erosion (erasure) of our Constitutional and Civil Rights. Too many images of more than 30 years ago in LA and the Chicano Moratorium - how they're still hitting the brightest of us on the head. How they are still "aiming at my children" and how I am still "marked by the color of my skin." I was planning to go to this, as I went to the Million More March in Washington, DC, because it seemed important. But, in the end, my students needed me and I needed to be here to workshop poems on that day. So my thoughts were there. My heart goes out to the families - and the children "scared into trees, bears, stars" who were there being attacked for participating in a democratic act in a democratic state. I know what it's like to see your mother crouched down on the ground like an animal while some "peace officer" is holding the hard and heavy stick over her head, and there's only you to stop him. I know what it's like to see that officer turn and raise that stick over your head -- while looking you straight in the eye. I know what it feels like to be a child and have your body thrown against the wall like a sack of beans. And, all for acting peacefully ... while Chicana.

Please do something. Say something. Write something. Support Free Radio and Free TV. Create it and create real democratic change. Broadcast the truth of history as it happens. Start by reposting this. Spread it around.



Rainbow Line

And as an anecdote, the following, my favorite uTube video, now sent to me again, when I can use it, by poet Anthem Salgado. Change happens glacial slow or all at once. I'll dance to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next