Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Lorna Dee Cervantes Wins 2006 Balcones Poetry Prize For "Outstanding Poetry Book" For DRIVE: The First Quartet

More good news, DRIVE, The First Quartet has just been awarded the 2006 Balcones Poetry Prize from The Balcones Center for Creative Writing at Austin. (!!) The prize is in its ninth year and past winners have included Lorenzo Thomas, Arthur Sze and a poet I just discovered in my current favorite used book store, Gray Wolf in San Lorenzo, CA, Lucia Perillo -- her book really knocked me out. So, it's an honor. I can't divulge the names of the finalists yet, but they are a very impressive bunch which includes a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for poetry. DRIVE: The First Quartet was chosen from 116 books published during 2006 that were nominated for the Balcones Poetry Prize. The prize of $1,000 recognizes an outstanding book of poetry published during the year. The Balcones Center for Creative Writing will bring me, Lorna Dee, to Austin Community College’s Rio Grande Campus for a reading sometime in October. YEA! (I LOVE TEXAS!)

If you'd like a signed copy of the book, and would like to help me out, you can order directly from me. Just scroll down to my Amazon Secure Pay page or click here and send $25 dollars and your order information and I'll sign and send one directly to you. You can also donate to Project TUPA: Transmitters Uniting the Peoples of the Americas and then let me know and receive a book AND a copy of my new manuscript of new and collected love poems which includes my Pushcart Prize winning poem, "Shelling the Pecans." Donate at least $50 and receive 10 cds of lovesongs, too. You may also split your donation: $25 to me and at least $25 to Free Radio and Project TUPA to receive it all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Yay!!
Congratulations!
xop

9/5/07 18:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Lorna Dee! That is very very cool. Way to go.

10/5/07 05:49  
Blogger Francisco Aragón said...

Congratulations, Lorna! I'm happy to hear the book is being recognized.

10/5/07 10:46  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow!

Congratulations!

10/5/07 12:19  
Blogger Collin Kelley said...

Congratulations from a fellow Poet Laureate of the Blogosphere nominee. :)

11/5/07 17:21  
Blogger Sherry said...

Congratulations from another fellow Poet Laureate of the Blogsphere nominee. Big, big good news!

14/5/07 12:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
$223,693,000,000 The Most Expensive Impeachment In History!
Cost of the War in Iraq
$196,424,846,878
To see more details, click here.
Textbook125x125button
Radical Women of Color Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next